My 0.02€
It's interesting how this topic is so often resurrected. The first time we
upgraded a RedHat server and the network interfaces were renamed, our
supervisor was.....angered :-)
The issue is the order of enumeration of devices on a PCI bus. Even
identical models of NIC at the same level of firmware will become ready in
non-uniform ways. Temperature plays a role, etc. If the systemd designers
(same as the udev guys, right?) made a mistake here, perhaps it was
overreach.