I suppose I should add this. In datacenters of a certain size, when the
network cabling leaves control of the OS administrators (yes, even the
Wintel admins), network admins aren't there to make your life easier. You
do it yourself.
I encountered the same issue with SAN admins a bit later over fiber cabling
to my servers. If the OS adds complication you deal with it, even if you
didn't have to before. You can argue that admins should have been
explicitly configuring NICs with salt, cobbler, etc. We did.