> On Monday 17 June 2019, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> was heard
> to say:
>
>> How is that resolved, by unroutable address blocks such
>> as 192.168.xx.xx is now?
>
> Yes, IPv6 does have such allocations. The first 64bits is network
> block, then the last 64bits are your local machine.
>
> fc00:: is the non-routed network. RFC1918 equiv.

More precisely fc00::/7, of which fc00::/8 is unused, and fd00::/8 is
what you should _randomly_ allocate your local /48 from.

> fe80:: is the link-local address which is not routed at all, it is
> used solely between your device and the router. Personally, I would
> have combined these two, but when IPv6 was being built they didn't
> ask me.

Me neither, but I think the purposes are different enough to keep them
separate.

> Having fc00::MAC as a non-routed local RFC1918 default would have been
> sooooo much easier, but no, IPv6 was not designed by network
> engineers. It was designed by old AT&T phone engineers who were
> pissed they were being put out of a job by competition, and wanted to
> curse the world with increased complexity where none was needed.

link local addresses are strictly limited to the link, whereas fd00::/7
addresses are for your site, so you can route them around your own
networks as much as you like - I'm linking a few networks and VPSs with
them over openvpn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address

Richard