On Thursday 01 August 2019 16:58:46 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 01 August 2019 10:20:57 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Jo, 01 aug 19, 06:28:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Debian-arm netinstall on a pi3b;
> > >
> > > No root pw set, I am housebroken to using sudo now.
> > >
> > > netinstall didn't install x anything although I thought I was
> > > selecting xfce4, so my first action on the reboot was to
> > > "sudo apt install xfce4". reboot, works, have x and 4 workspaces.
> > >
> > > Then "sudo apt install build-essential and buildbot, cups".
> > > reboot, worked once, login normal. Then I plugged in a 120GB ssd
> > > which had a bunch of src stuff on it I'll need later and powered
> > > up again. Can't login, passwd no good.  Dbl check, caps lock off,
> > > try again several times, passwd no good.
> >
> > Maybe the SSD is drawing just enough additional current to mess with
> > your keyboard. As already suggested, you could try removing it.
>
> Its a 5 amp switcher.
>
> > Also, since you're not worried about security you could try typing
> > your password in the username field, to make sure the keyboard works
> > as expected. Just don't press enter so the password is not logged ;)
>
> I've done that too, its displaying exactly what I typed.
>
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>
> Thanks Andrei
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

And I am being ignored. So here is a thought.

Someone has recently mentioned a new method of encrypting passwds. Is it
possible that something in xfce4 has changed to the new method, but the
passwd in the passwd file was encrypted with the older method, and that
an ssh login is still useing the old method, so I can login remotely
only? So possibly it might be fixed by an apt update/upgrade? Unforch,
there is nothing to upgrade:

copy/paste from a konsole logged into it.

gene@picnc:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] password for gene:
Get:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
[39.1 kB]
Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [46.8 kB]
Get:4 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
Sources [25.9 kB]
Get:5 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
arm64 Packages [51.5 kB]
Get:6 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
Translation-en [28.9 kB]
Fetched 192 kB in 2s (81.9 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
gene@picnc:~$

But is that the proper list of repo's to query?

Or maybe its ssh thats using the new way, and xfce4 has not caught up. I
haven't a clue whats changed, but it did work several times, then
stopped.  Completely changing my passwd from this ssh login worked, I
backed out and tried it, worked as expected from ssh, but is still
rejected from its own keyboard, so I changed it back. ?? What library
does that? Is there a version jump that arm did, but got miss installed?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis