Victor A. Stoichita <vic...@svictor.net> wrote:

> I wasn’t aware that it would also have *obsolete* packages that had
> been dropped from testing or stable. But of course, those obsolete
> packages might still be the "latest packages" available.

Packages are removed from Sid mostly when the DD (or the QA team as
fallback DD for orphaned packages) requests this or when it is
discovered that the licensing prohibits its further distribution (which
is a very rare case).

This is because reintroducing a package is the same work as introducing
a complete new package, and maybe there will be a fix or a new DD for a
package who will continue the work, so keeping most packages available
in Sid does normally no harm.

But this is one of the things you need to consider, when using Sid as
your daily driver. Things can break suddenly and things might be
insecure.

Grüße,
Sven.

--