On 09/26/2020 06:06 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2020-09-26 at 05:18, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

On 2020-09-25 at 07:48, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
This morning this resulted in the error

The following partially installed packages will be configured:
I somehow managed to miss noticing this line before. I think it may be
the key to resolving the issue; see below.

     brscan4
As I think at least one other person has noted, this does not appear to
be available in the Debian archives, at least not as far as I've managed
to determine.
That's correct. It is pat of the Brother Laser Printer driver package.
Where did that come from? Did it (ever) have a repository configured, or
was it downloaded as a standalone .deb?

No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'
After unpacking 0 B will be used.
E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'
To my eye, this looks as if something is telling apt that version
0.4.8-1 is available somewhere, and the upgrade session is deciding that
it needs to install that version, but then none of the configured
sources include that version (and it's not already cached locally).

What do

$ apt-cache policy brscan4
$ apt-cache rdepends brscan4

say?

Thank you for your reply.

comp@AbNormal:~$ apt-cache policy brscan4
brscan4:
    Installed: 0.4.8-1
    Candidate: 0.4.8-1
    Version table:
   *** 0.4.8-1 100
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
That confirms (as I suppose was presumable) that there are no sources
for *any* version of brscan4 in any configured repository.

comp@AbNormal:~$ apt-cache rdepends
E: No packages found
Did you leave off the package name from this command?

Suggestions?
I think we still don't have enough information to be sure of what's
going on, but...

Do you still have the .deb for brscan4 0.4.8-1 around?

If so, you could try any or all of:

* Reinstall it with 'dpkg -i /path/to/brscan4_0.4.8-1.deb'. That should
trigger the package to be configured automatically, and with that
configuration complete, apt should theoretically no longer think that it
needs to do anything with this package and therefore no longer see any
need to download it.
comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/Brother$ sudo dpkg -i brscan4-0.4.8-1.amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 421150 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan4-0.4.8-1.amd64.deb ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: 4: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_uninstall.sh: not found rm: cannot remove '/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_uninstall.sh': No such file or directory dpkg: warning: old brscan4 package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: 3: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: 4: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_uninstall.sh: not found rm: cannot remove '/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_uninstall.sh': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing archive brscan4-0.4.8-1.amd64.deb (--install):
new brscan4 package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: 18: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4: not found /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: 19: /var/lib/dpkg/info/brscan4.postinst: /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_config.sh: not found
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
installed brscan4 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
 brscan4-0.4.8-1.amd64.deb
comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/Brother$

* Copy that .deb into /var/cache/apt/archives/ (if it's not already
there), so that apt might notice that it doesn't need to download it
because there's already a local copy. (This might need some other
command to be run in between, but I couldn't say what just offhand.)
I had already copied the .deb to that location.
* Uninstall brscan4, run the upgrade, then install it again via the same
reinstall command as suggested above. That both would let you proceed
with whatever other package upgrades there might be, and should resolve
the half-configured status.

comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/Brother$ sudo ./uninstaller_brscan4
[sudo] password for comp:
dpkg: error processing package brscan4 (--purge):
 package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal
 brscan4
rm: cannot remove '/etc/udev/rules.d/60-brother-libsane-type1-inst.rules': No such file or directory

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net