On Mon, Sep 28 2020 at 09:46:09 AM, "Stephen P. Molnar"
<s.mol...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/27/2020 01:35 PM, Brian wrote:

<snipped brscan issues>

>> Npthing to do with your issue, but what is your Brother model?
>>

> Happy to let you know:
>
> DCP-L2550DW

You may not need any of the drivers from Brother for this device.  The
printer should work "driverless".

For the scanner, sane-airscan lists this model as explicitly tested:
https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan. I use that for a
MFC-L2710DW.  sane-airscan will be in the next debian stable release,
but you can install it on current stable following the instructions in
the README there.

I had the proprietary brscan installed for a while, which left a bad
taste in the mouth.  I switched to airscan the moment I heard about it.

> I found out during the recent travail that Brother doesn't support Linux.

They do provide drivers, such as they are, at
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2550dw_us&os=128

--
regards,
kushal