The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 2020-12-27 at 16:36, Anssi Saari wrote:
>
>> The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> writes:
>>
>>> I need to get that live-boot medium ready and do those tests.
>>
>> That seems like a good thing to do.
>
> I have it ready now, but haven't shut down for another swap, in part
> because I've been napping. I may do it tonight, or more likely, tomorrow.
>
>> Another thing you could do is post your grub.cfg. It seems a little
>> odd you haven't.
>
> It mainly just hadn't occurred to me, in part (though only in part)
> because I thought I recalled that the boot-configuration files for GRUB2
> weren't the same as from legacy GRUB (and might even be stored in
> multiple files) and had a mental association of that file with legacy
> GRUB, so didn't trust it to necessarily be the correct / full config.

Well, as I recall from the past, old Grub used /boot/grub/menu.lst. I
still have one of those around dated Aug 14 2016. Not sure that's an
accurate date but I can't remember my bootloader history, other than I
stuck with LILO for a very long time.

Anyways, I don't see much anything in the grub.cfg. Maybe the video
options but it seems to be pretty much the default and that doesn't seem
to cause issues very often, at least I couldn't find any Grub crashes
with specifically AMD cards or any hardware.

One thing came to my mind, do you have the appropriate aux power
connectors available and connected? Looks like the RX 5700 XT is quite
power hungry at 225 W max vs. 151 W with your old card. Different
connectors too (6 pin + 8 pin instead of 2x 6 pin). And these cards can
be quite picky about having appropriate power connected.

> I have the impression that things have by now developed to the point
> where a physical serial-port cable (of the classic type of serial port
> and cable, whose connectors can be visually confused with a VGA port in
> some cases) is no longer necessary, which is good, since if we ever had
> such a thing it was at least back in the days of PS/2 keyboards and mice
> and might have been back in the days before our home computers had
> internal hard drives.

Not quite that long ago.

> I imagine USB would be the replacement (just based on the name), and I'm
> also aware of the existence (kernel-side) of netconsole, but how to use
> either for this I don't know.

I've never tried it but as I understand it, Grub has some support for
USB-serial adapters. After all, Grub has to support USB keyboards which
means the basic building blocks of USB support have to be there. Adding
support for USB-serial isn't that hard after that. But yes, this was a
long shot anyways.