On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 21:54:41 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 10 ian 21, 17:05:09, Joe wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:31:12 +0200
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The install? Sure.
> > >
> > > Migrating all your configurations to the new system? Less so.
> > >

> > Not just the configurations. Installing a couple of thousand packages
> > will take some time, if you are unwilling to use a cloning method.
>
> With a few notable exceptions for me it's mostly enough to replicate
> only the set of manually installed packages.
>
> Of course, on such occasions I do use the opportunity to review what
> packages I still need, which usually takes more time than the actual
> installation :D
>
> Eventually I intend to have that information in a configuration
> management system (e.g. ansible), so that getting a new system installed
> and fully configured is mostly automated.

I've been procrastinating replacing my main machine's drive (laptop
SSD), which I've really outgrown, with a larger one for a while
already. The new drive is just sitting there, but I can't decide
whether to go with a new install, and spend the time getting rid of
stuff I really don't need (which will take more time than the actual
install, as you say) and migrate configuration, or to just do what Felix
suggests in another method in this thread and just clone partitions.

Celejar