March 13, 2021 7:36:39 PM CET Larry Martell <larry.mart...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 10:45 AM Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri 12 Mar 2021 at 18:27:58 +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 08:27:23AM -0800, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > If they shun or ostracize you for not being on Facebook, they are
> > neither your friends nor your family.
>
> I don't know whether that hard position is always viable. I mean,
> I managed without Facebook (and *all* the others, btw.) but that
> may well be sheer luck. To think otherwise would feel... arrogant
> to me.

How can "sheer luck" be a factor? My non-participation in Facebook
is due to a conscious decision.

> And yes, I'm interested in understanding /why/ and /how/ people
> are sucked in: that's about the only way to do something against
> it.

Perhaps they feel a need to communicate with a group. That's hardly
being "sucked in". Their choice, just like mine. Different midsets.
To imply it is not quite the best and there is something that should
be done about such a choice is simply vi vs emacs talk :).

“In the old pre-technology days, it would have been almost impossible to
replicate Facebook or Twitter. The closest you could get would be to mail
dozens of postcards a day to everybody you know, each with a brief message
about yourself like: "Finally got that haircut I've been putting off." Or:
"Just had a caramel frappuccino. Yum!" The people receiving these postcards
would have naturally assumed you were a moron with a narcissism disorder. But
today, thanks to Facebook and Twitter, you are seen as a person engaging in
'social networking'.”

― Dave Barry, I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood

which begs the question "why do people feel the need to tell the world every
tiny thing that pops into their head?"