Brian (12021-08-10):
> Over the years HP has been a stalwart supporter of Linix printing and
> imaging via HPLIP. However, any *modern* MFD made by HP supports a
> driverless printing environment such as the one Debian provides. HPLIP
> is, in fact, redundant with a modern MFD.

> You are not mistaken. But not only Does Debian provide driverless
> printing but it also provides driverless scanning via SANE and, in
> addition, the sane-airscan package. sane-airscan is in bullseye and
> in buster-bacports.

> Whatever has been said above also applies to to any other *modern*
> device from these vendors.

> CUPS will cease to support drivers and PPDs in the coming years. Users
> may as well come to terms with driverless printing. HPLIP and other
> vendor drivers will not have any place in a future CUPS.

Thank you for these very helpful general informations, and thanks to
Brad for the specific information about the particular model.

About Brother: the only model worth considering for us is the
DCP-J1200DW, and it is only a little cheaper than the HP, and the
characteristics of the HP are a little better, including double-sided
printing which is not necessary for our use but still a nice thing to
have.

Considering that AFAIK Brother is more reputed for its laser printers
than for all-in-one inkjets and that I want to recompense being a
stalwart supporter of Linux printing, I think I will stay with the HP.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George