On Wed 11 Aug 2021 at 04:21:06 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

[...]

> I doubt that driver will really be gone as printer have specific options
> like the number of drawer, the precision (DPI) and much more.
>
> Often I've read "XYZ will have no place in the future" but still is
> being used today and has even grown.

All the code supporting drivers and PPDs will be removed from a future
CUPS. It's as simple as that.

  https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/issues/103

> Driverless is somewhat a euphemism for generic. As a example, most USB
> mouse are considered *driverless* but the reality is more that they use
> the generic USB driver. Same goes for USB webcam that are sold as
> *driverless* but use the USB Video driver.

Driverless printing should be understood in the context of the
client system. A laptop (or iOS/Android phone) moves between
different locations. If using a legacy printing system, there
would need to be new drivers installed and new print queues set
up to match the different printers encountered.

A driver printing system does not need to go though any of the
above contortions. From the point of view of the client, printing
just works. I suppose we could call it a "non-vendor driver and
PPD-less system", but that is a bit of a mouthful :).

--
Brian.