Hi,

On 2021-08-10 1:56 p.m., Erwan David wrote:
> Le 10/08/2021 à 16:59, Brian a écrit :
>>
>> CUPS will cease to support drivers and PPDs in the coming years. Users
>> may as well come to terms with driverless printing. HPLIP and other
>> vendor drivers will not have any place in a future CUPS.
>>

> Do you have some pointers to what we must do to use this driverless
> printing and scanning ?

Driverless printing mostly means that you are using a printer that
support autodiscovery with IPP (internet print protocol) and accept
directly format such as PDF or JPEG.

One example of such type of implementation would be Mopria (and many others)

Here's a example of such specification
https://mopria.org/spec-download

Mopria is nothing else than IPP with Bonjour discovery support.

As a example, my printer can be used with USB. In this case, CUPS will
detect it and suggest a driver (or use the generic driverless based on
PDF/PCL/PS).

If I choose network discovery when adding a new printer, I'll see many
printer found (even if I got only one on the network). It will say
"Internet Print Protocol (driverless)" with different options like PDF/PCL.

I doubt that driver will really be gone as printer have specific options
like the number of drawer, the precision (DPI) and much more.

Often I've read "XYZ will have no place in the future" but still is
being used today and has even grown.

Driverless is somewhat a euphemism for generic. As a example, most USB
mouse are considered *driverless* but the reality is more that they use
the generic USB driver. Same goes for USB webcam that are sold as
*driverless* but use the USB Video driver.

Hope this help

If you want more information or a screenshot of the add printer screen
on CUPS with the list of *driverless* printer found. Then I'll be glad
to do my best to help you out.

Don't hesitate.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside