On Fri 13 Aug 2021 at 13:10:46 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:

> Hi.
>
> We finally found an HP DeskJet 2723e at a closer vendor; in terms of
> price and bulk it was much closer to to or needs the one we had and the
> cat broke.
>
> I first set it up on wifi only. I used the proprietary HP application on
> my phone, it used bluetooth to give the wifi password to the printer. I
> confirmed with the router it was connected and set up a static DHCP
> lease.

Did you read the Release Notes for Bullseye? (No advice on cat controls,
though :) ).

> After that, I could connect to the printer using
> <https://10.0.1.17:631/>.
>
> Setting up printing was as easy as:
>
> sudo lpadmin -p DeskJet_2723e -v http://10.0.1.17:631/ -E -m everywhere
>
> (by the way, "driverless" is a nice advertisement gimmick, but really it
> is a misnomer for an unified driver) and printing a test page worked
> right away.

The developers of our printing system would be more likely to view
driverless printing to be as outlined at

Also, the printing system does not have a unified driver. The drivers
used depend on the job, but they will always produce an outcome that
is suitable to be sent to the printer, irrespective of the make or
model of printer. Contrast that with the pre-buster situation. The
need for non-free vendor drivers has been eliminated.

> I could also scan using the web interface. SANE offered a little more
> resistance tough.
>
> But first I had to re-configure it for another wifi network. This time I
> tried doing it with USB.
>
> Installing ipp-usb and plugging the printer starts a ipp-usb.service and

I am surprised you had to install ipp-usb. It is a Recommends: of
cups-daemon.

> a web server on <http://localhost:60000/> where I could change the wifi
> settings. The web-server seems extremenly bogus, I had to reload the
> page numerous times before getting something workable.
>
> Once the printer connected to its final network, I tried SANE seriously.
>
> To let SANE auto-detect the device, I had to:
>
> sudo hp-setup -i 10.0.1.17
>
> to let it create a second queue
> "hp:/net/DeskJet_2700_series?ip=10.0.1.17". But it still refused to
> work.
>
> For some reason, scanimage sends its useful messages to syslog instead
> of stderr.
>
> I had:
>
> unable to load library libm.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so: invalid ELF
> header
>
> (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so is a ld script, not meant for dynamic
> consequence, and:
>
> unable to open /var/lib/hp/hplip.state: No such file or directory
>
> and, if I tried to populate this file based on examples found on the
> web:
>
> unable to load library /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/bb_escl.so:
> /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/bb_escl.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
>
> As it happens, it means the libsane-hpaio requires a binary non-Libre
> plugin for this printer. It can be downloaded with:
>
> sudo hp-plugin -g
>
> It installs files in /usr/share/hplip/scan/plugins/.
>
> After that:
>
> scanimage -h -d 'hpaio:/net/DeskJet_2700_series?ip=10.0.1.17'
>
> worked, as did actual scanning and Gimp's GUI.
>
> I am not very satisfied with the use of a binary plugin, but at least it
> works.

Did I not recommend sane-airscan earlier in this thread? If not

  apt install sane-airscan

Non-free plugins dispensed with at a stroke. Uninstall HPLIP while
you are at it. It is completely unneeded.

--
Brian.