On Fri 13 Aug 2021 at 16:05:15 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2021-08-13, Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:
> >
> > I used the word "driver" in the technical sense: the piece of code in
> > the operating system (in the widest possible sense) that makes it
> > possible to use the device. In that sense a mouse requires the driver in
>
> But here the "driver," in your sense of the word, is "in" the printing
> device, not the OS, is it not? At any rate, driverless for the purposes
> of this discussion signifies that the *client* need install no software
> or data specific to a compliant printer.

Succinct and in keeping with what the PWG (Printer Working Group) and
CUPS and cups-filters developers would understan by the term. Anyone
is free to suggest what they consider is a better one.

Ultimately, the present phrase is expressive, but it does not matter.
In Debian 11 we have freed ourselves from reliance on non-free vendor
drivers and plugins for printing and scanning. Nicolas George has
demonstrated that with the installation of his new printer.

--
Brian.
Wasting bits and bandwidth since 1994.