On Tue 10 Aug 2021 at 18:29:02 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:

[...]

> I'm using a Xerox B205 MFC and it's fully supported. Yes it's laser but
> the reason I am writing this message regard something else.
>
> It's the support of MOPRIA.

Looks like an idea worth examining. Let's look at what's on the tin
and inside it.

Accordin to

  https://mopria.org/certified-products#company30

my ENVY 4502 is a Mopria-certified product. It is on a managed WiFi
network

Part of its TXT record shows:

  pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,application/PCLm,image/urf

application/PCLm is acceptable to a Mopria. (I think it is meant to
used with Wi-Fi Direct and not a managed WiFi network, but we'll put
that on one side because a more pressing issue is about to emerge).

CUPS will give the printer destination with

  brian@desktop:~$ lpstat -e
  ENVY4500

and generate a PPD with

  brian@desktop:~$ lpoptions -p ENVY4500 -l

Examine the PPD with

  brian@desktop:~# grep "cupsFilter2" /etc/cups/ppd/ENVY4500.ppd
  *cupsFilter2: "image/jpeg image/jpeg 0 -"
  *cupsFilter2: "image/urf image/urf 100 -"

CUPS will only process jpeg and Apple raster (AirPrint). The filtering
system *must* send either of these two MIME types for printing to take
place. Having Mopria on the box isn't any indication that Driverless
Printing is possible with this printer.

A much better indication is looking for AirPrint-capabilty. CUPS will
accept and process image/urf. All modern printers have an AirPrint
service that is known to work splenedidly with the Debian printing
system.

--
Brian.