On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 05:10:36AM -0400, Michael Grant wrote:
> I've been using Testing for about a decade now with very few problems.
> But now I'm moving to Stable.  Just wanted to mae sure I'm doing this
> right.
>
> I last updated using Testing on the friday, then the release happened
> on saturday.  I changed my sources.list as below, did an apt update;
> apt upgrade, and uncerimoniously there were no updates to install, my
> system was already on bullseye.  Easy.
>
> My intention is that when I upgrade or install something from now on,
> I want to take the latest most resonable version of it.
>
> If there's a security update, I want that version first.
>
> Normally if I install something, it should come from stable.  However,
> if there's a backport of that thing, I prioritize the newer backport
> instead.
>
> But what if something got updated from backports and then later
> there's a security update for it in bullseye-security. Since I
> prioritize bullseye-security, what's going to happen?  Is it going to
> reinstall a lower version number from bullseye-security?
>
> Lastly, I want to be able to manually install things from testing and
> from experimental.
>
> Here's my apt config files:
>
> ----sources.list----
> deb     http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main
> contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main
> contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   bullseye main contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free
>
> deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free

I don't know about the pinning priorities ...

[Taken from https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList]

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib
non-free

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

are the primarly /etc/apt/sources.list entries. Security updates will normally
be applied to stable anyway but if you've got bullseye-security in
there, they get pulled in. I also have unattended-updates or whatever it's
called enabled.

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free

are the corresponging backports lines - I suspect there's nothing there at
the moment but you normally have to explicitly pull backports by name -
they're not installed by default, even if you have them enabled.

Hope this helps, all the best, as ever,

Andy Cater