> You're missing the "bullseye-updates" repository, but it's optional.  If
> the lines above were the only lines in your sources.list, you would be
> doing it correctly.
>
> Bullseye-backports is also optional, and there probably aren't any yet.
> And even when there are some, there's no guarantee that you'll need them.
> Personally, I prefer to leave the -backports out of it unless and until
> I actually need one.  But if you want to bring it in proactively, that's
> acceptable.
>
> > deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   testing main contrib non-free
>
> *THIS*, however, is wrong.
>
> With testing lines added to your sources.list, you are not running stable
> (bullseye) any longer.  You are still running testing, just with a
> fallback option to retrieve bullseye packages as well.
>
> > deb     http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/   experimental main contrib non-free
>
> And this is just stupid.  Remove this immediately.

Ok I added bullseye-updates now, thanks.

What priority should I apply to bullseye-update in preferences?

With respect to having testing and experimental in the sources.list, I
had testing prioritized at 250 and experimental at 1.  The idea was
that if some new package came along that I wanted to mess with, I
could install it easily but if the there was a package belonging to
bullseye, it would be installed there by priority.  I am vigilant not
to install things that contain dependencies that might update my
entire system to, say, testing.  Given that, are these lines still
insane?

Is there some way to tell apt to ask me if I want to install something
from a particular repository, for example, something I want to test.
I would like to have apt tell me "that's not in one of these
repositories but it's in one of these other repositories you have in
sources.list, ok to install it from there?"  Something like a warn-me
flag?  Or something that shows me what repository I'm about to install
something from?  I was sort of hoping that's what setting a priority
<500 would do.

Here's an updated version now of what I have, though I would uncomment
testing and experimental if I understand correctly.  Wondering if I
should also add unstable in there at an equally low priority.

----/etc/apt/sources.list----
deb     http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main
contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main