On 29/9/21 18:31, Brian wrote:
On Tue 28 Sep 2021 at 22:33:39 -0500, Igor Korot wrote:

[...]

Very simple and straightforward process:
1. Downloaded mini.iso.
2. Created a VM with 4G of RAM and 500G HDD.
3. Started the install
4. In the first menu selected "Advanced Options", then "Expert Install"
5. Follow thru the {install} menu. On the "Choosing a mirror..." ,
selected "sid - unstable"
6. Got an error about "The installation media do not seem to contain a
valid Release file, or that file
could not be read correctly". I presume that this is OK, since
mini.iso contains only a boot image
and not really a full blown install.
7. Next got following error:
"Installation step failed."

Try a Daily Image:

   https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/

I've just tried to repeat what you did and got a screen that I didn't understand. I'm planning a fresh install shortly and figured this could be as easy a way as any. Debian worked nicely in vbox - at least in testing which is what I want in the end.

Suggest you try a 'standard' install - just accept the first option 'install'

I generally leave root passwd blank during the install, and set it with
sudo passwd
when you first log in. You may want it soone than you think, if something goes wrong. This will set up sudo during the install, rather htan having to install and set-up the app.

When you get the tasksel screen unselect the desktop items and proceed with only the last item, 'standard system utilities'. This will save downloading the desktop and other apps 2 or three times.

After you reboot, and log in, edit the repositories
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Change in the first 2 lines bullseye to testing, then # out the remaining active lines.

run sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

This will install about 150 new programs

Reboot.
change testing to sid in /etc/apt/sources.list

run sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
again

reboot and run
sudo tasksel

select Debian desktop environment and the desktop/s you prefer. Web server and/or ssh server as you wish

Reboot and you should get the desktop login screen you chose

It'll  be 12 hours before I see your results. It's 21:15 here
--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keith.bainbridge3...@mail.com