Greetings all;

The local electrical system, while better than Haiti's is getting to be a
nuisance with 5 second power failures about weekly, or is that weakly?

Most of my machines are running a 64 bit buster with a preempt-rt kernel.

I made some mods to a 3d printer project in openscad last week, printed
it, but forgot to save it. So I lost it when the latest failure rebooted
that machine. A procedure I had long since committed to muscle memory
now requires I be root to do what I've been doing as me for the last
year, so I have now reprinted that after reinventing it, 4 times, w/o
changing the printout, after the latest failure I have to be root to
mount the card from the printer, I have to be root to overwrite the
resliced file to the printers SD card, root to do it all. But mc now
goes thru the motions as me, without telling me it doesn't have
permission to overwrite that file.  What the heck?

2 things really.

1. Before the latest failure I could do all this as me because the mount
point for the card is in my home directory, I own it all. And didn't
have to be root to do any of it.  This was not fixed by a 2nd reboot.

2. and another pesky thing is starting a konsole to do work, needs a
$PATH modification that we used to put in ~.profile. But opening a
terminal hasn't called a ". .profile" since about jessie.  So thats
another PITA.

So, what has replaced .profile as the function for such as that in recent
releases?

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)