Gene Heskett wrote:

> 1. Before the latest failure I could do all this as me because the mount
> point for the card is in my home directory, I own it all. And didn't
> have to be root to do any of it.  This was not fixed by a 2nd reboot.

I guess this problem is not related to the .profile issue you are having
below.
Check the permissions on the mount point and the fstab and also your group
membership.
The SD card might also need a fsck.

> 2. and another pesky thing is starting a konsole to do work, needs a
> $PATH modification that we used to put in ~.profile. But opening a
> terminal hasn't called a ". .profile" since about jessie.  So thats
> another PITA.
>
> So, what has replaced .profile as the function for such as that in recent
> releases?

AFAIK bash is not reading profile when you login, but not sure - it could be
also that it is not a login shell.
AFAIK you should open the terminal with "bash --login" to read the profile.
So try in the terminal "bash --login"

I have put in my .profile

alias bash='bash --login'

long time ago

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0