On Jo, 10 feb 22, 11:11:01, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 09, 2022 06:08:16 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > I've switched to using sudo because it encourages me to use root only
> > when strictly required.
>
> That's a good idea, but I'll mention what I do -- I may have started before
> sudo existed (or, at least, before I knew about it).
>
> I use kde and keep several konsole (terminals) open, at on one, I open it as
> root and set the background to be a different color than the non-root konsole
> (a shade of yello).
>
> (Once you pick a color for the background (or any of variety of other user
> preferences), you can save those so, for example, every time I open a konsole
> as root, it gets those preferences.

I did use to have a root window constantly open and "Ctrl-a r" is still
opening a 'sudo -i' window in tmux.

The trouble with that is that I would tend to use the root console for
non-root things. Besides, it's annoying to 'cd' in the non-root terminal
in some deep directory structure only to find out you need root
permissions to do what you actually needed to do when you got there.

With sudo I'm incentivized to use non-root as much as possible, even if
only because I'm too lazy to switch terminals or type 4 letters and a
space ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei