On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:40:02 +0200 songbird <songb...@anthive.com>
wrote:

["Server read failed." when trying to enter a newsgroup]

>  i have four thoughts.
>
>  first one would be to do a fsck on that file system (after
> unmounting it).

No joy

>  second one is to restore from backup or redownload articles
> after running the expire process.

I've tried the "c" (catchup) command, but that didn't help.

>  third one would be to start over with a clean spool and
> then just grab the most recent few hundred articles for
> each newsgroup you want to read.
>
>  and the last is maybe the least intrusive would be to test
> something out by deleting an empty file.  will you be able
> to redownload it?  try it and see what happens for one article
> and if you can then perhaps you can write a script that would
> get rid of all the zero length files and then be able to redownload
> them or expire them or something.

The zero-length files were easy enough to find, and few enough
that I just deleted them by hand.  No luck.  I've even tried
deleting the entire contents of a group, e.g.:

rm /var/spool/slrnpull/news/linux/debian/user/*

Still no luck.  The group header window still shows the number
of messages that were available; the "c" command resets this to
zero, but I still get "Server read failed." when trying to enter
the group.

Oddly enough, there are one or two groups which are still
working properly.

>  i'm not at all familiar with slrn's spooling or structure since
> i've been using leafnode ever since i started usenet.  leafnode
> has a process that goes through and checks consistency and will
> rebuild an overview file for a group but i've never had a problem
> with it truncating contents to zero.

I was hoping that there was an slrn guru who could explain all this.

Oh well, I've been meaning to upgrade my laptop to Bullseye -
maybe it's time to nuke slrn and re-install it from scratch.

--
cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)