On Wed 20 Apr 2022 at 20:09:54 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > I have a machine set aside to test several configurations of Debian 11.
> >
> > Is there away to have the Grub Menu _automatically_ display the assigned
> > partition name rather than than /dev/sdaN ?
>
> I wonder whether this changes if you use labels as references?

I'm not sure quite what you mean by "as references".

> To be honest, I never notice - it's a menu which says Debian and a couple
> of other options and I jut hit [Enter] almost automatically :)

If by "assigned partition name" the OP means either of LABEL or
PARTLABEL, then I think the answer is no. Grub itself, of course,
supports their use, but not the scripts that generate grub.cfg.

If you allow grub-mkconfig to use UUIDs (the default), then
it's relatively straightforward to script their conversion
to LABELS, using the information in /run/udev/data/b* to
build a conversion table. Just remember that you have to
pair each change with the option names, --fs-uuid → --label.

That probably falls outside the OP's definition of _automatically_
displaying them.

Cheers,
David.