On 04/20/2022 05:44 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 20 Apr 2022 at 20:09:54 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I have a machine set aside to test several configurations of Debian 11.

Is there away to have the Grub Menu _automatically_ display the assigned
partition name rather than than /dev/sdaN ?

I wonder whether this changes if you use labels as references?

I'm not sure quite what you mean by "as references".

To be honest, I never notice - it's a menu which says Debian and a couple
of other options and I jut hit [Enter] almost automatically :)

If by "assigned partition name" the OP means either of LABEL or
PARTLABEL, then I think the answer is no.

When creating a partition with Gparted the is a box titled "Label:".
I was referring to the content placed there.

Grub itself, of course,
supports their use, but not the scripts that generate grub.cfg.

IIRC several years ago I was told I could manually edit to display as desired. It would be overwritten the next time update-grub was run.

If you allow grub-mkconfig to use UUIDs (the default), then
it's relatively straightforward to script their conversion
to LABELS, using the information in /run/udev/data/b* to
build a conversion table. Just remember that you have to
pair each change with the option names, --fs-uuid → --label.

That probably falls outside the OP's definition of _automatically_
displaying them.

It's outside of my ideal dream. My desired result should be achievable with a batch file calling update-grub and then using a routine to do the process in the paragraph above. 'Bout time I brushed up on batch file prep ;}

Recommended reading that I wouldn't immediately find with DuckDuckGo?
Thanks.

Cheers,
David.