On Thu 21 Apr 2022 at 05:30:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 04/20/2022 05:44 PM, David Wright wrote:

> > > I wonder whether this changes if you use labels as references?
> >
> > I'm not sure quite what you mean by "as references".
> >
> > > To be honest, I never notice - it's a menu which says Debian and a couple
> > > of other options and I jut hit [Enter] almost automatically :)
> >
> > If by "assigned partition name" the OP means either of LABEL or
> > PARTLABEL, then I think the answer is no.
>
> When creating a partition with Gparted the is a box titled "Label:".
> I was referring to the content placed there.
>
> > Grub itself, of course,
> > supports their use, but not the scripts that generate grub.cfg.
>
> IIRC several years ago I was told I could manually edit to display as
> desired. It would be overwritten the next time update-grub was run.
>

> > If you allow grub-mkconfig to use UUIDs (the default), then
> > it's relatively straightforward to script their conversion
> > to LABELS, using the information in /run/udev/data/b* to
> > build a conversion table. Just remember that you have to
> > pair each change with the option names, --fs-uuid → --label.
> >
> > That probably falls outside the OP's definition of _automatically_
> > displaying them.
>
> It's outside of my ideal dream. My desired result should be achievable with
> a batch file calling update-grub and then using a routine to do the process
> in the paragraph above. 'Bout time I brushed up on batch file prep ;}

I take it you want to replace (on /dev/sda5) with something like
(on LABEL). How about this?

e2label <device> will enable matching /dev/sda5 and other devices
with a LABEL. Then a script to seach and replace (on /dev/sdaN)
with the corresponding LABEL.

The script could be run from update-grub and update-grub diverted.
This looks like automatic to me.

--
Brian.