On 9/14/22 6:16 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Stefan wrote:
> In article <jwvpmfz3tu1.fsf-monnier+gmane.linux.debian.u...@gnu.org> you
> write:
> >> the interest of the user. These "volunteers" obviously have other,
> >> possibly malicious, interests if they prove themselves unwilling to
> >> apply fixes to bugs that are reported to them.
> >
> >I think there's a confusion here: these volunteers will also have
> >"other, possibly malicious, interests" even if they are willing/eager
> >to apply fixes to bugs that are reported to them.
> >
> >Same goes for people you pay, so it's not specific to volunteers.
> >And of course it's also not specific to a particular kind of license.
>
> Thanks Stefan, it's great to see that some people understand the
> issues.
>
> I'll be brutally honest: being accused of "possibly malicious"
> unwilligness is *not* a great way to convince overstretched volunteers
> to spend their time on issues.

Thank you Steve, for the work you do as maintaining the grub software
packages on Debian.

I am not against giving maintainers like Steve just compensation for the
work they do fixing bugs, and by compensation I mean money.

Why not require the user to pay a small fee when reporting a bug
which can be used to provide just compensation for the services the
maintainers provide to the community when the maintainer fixes bugs?
I would be willing to pay a reasonably small fee that would go to the
maintainers who worked on the bug and successfully fixed it.

I'll be brutally honest: Being accused of being a troll is *not* a
great way to convince Debian users who want to contribute to
and help Debian to spend their free time helping maintainers fix
the bugs reported to the BTS. I also suspect many users agree
with me, but are afraid to say so for fear of being accused of
being a troll.

Best regards,

Chuck