Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> Stefan wrote:
> In article <jwvpmfz3tu1.fsf-monnier+gmane.linux.debian.u...@gnu.org> you
> write:
> >> the interest of the user. These "volunteers" obviously have other,
> >> possibly malicious, interests if they prove themselves unwilling to
> >> apply fixes to bugs that are reported to them.
> >
> >I think there's a confusion here: these volunteers will also have
> >"other, possibly malicious, interests" even if they are willing/eager
> >to apply fixes to bugs that are reported to them.
> >
> >Same goes for people you pay, so it's not specific to volunteers.
> >And of course it's also not specific to a particular kind of license.
>
> Thanks Stefan, it's great to see that some people understand the
> issues.
>
> I'll be brutally honest: being accused of "possibly malicious"
> unwilligness is *not* a great way to convince overstretched volunteers
> to spend their time on issues.

I think an appropriate analogy for proprietary versus open source software
is the American Electoral College compared to The American General
Election.  The difference in the number of minds brought to apply to each
I think parallels proprietary versus open source software and whatever
effects attach to both.  Open source additionally has the internet which
varies in support quality but is far larger than any proprietary
operation.