I know it's not the intended use case but I primarily utilize Ansible for
individual, customized hosts. It absolutely rocks when you have dozens of
systems to manage though. For individual hosts I use it as a way of
documenting how a system came to be in its state almost for disaster
recovery (i.e. what software was installed, config file templates, etc.).
If you find yourself setting up certain stuff routinely, make it a "role"
and reuse it like a function. I do cheat on those custom boxes though by
running through the ansible playbook that takes me 90% of the way there,
then a README to explain the little stuff I had to do by hand because it's
still easier to adjust something by hand sometimes.

Like any complex framework, it takes a bit of patience to learn and learn
some more before getting to the payoff point. At least that's how it is for
we mortals.