On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 01:03:20PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> Please relay to the devs that this utility is dangerous, and needs the
> ability to scan the system for stuff that cannot be interrupted, and exit
> quietly if it finds one of the un-interruptables running.

Gene,

This is an optional package: there is a warning when it is installed that it
may cause your system to reboot. How the devs can know what is uninterupptible
on any given system given 40,000 Debian packages or whatever is beyond me.

> The instant example is an arm system, and it was running octoprint on a job
> that is projected to take nearly a month to complete. And it jut crashed at
> 03:09 this morning wasting a $25 spool of plastic.

Ah, octoprint - that well known Debian package ...

 With the best will in the
world, you have a print job using a non-Debian package which will take a
month to complete? I'd be _much_ more worried about heat on your 3D printer
running for a month, the fire risk when unattended, the likelihood of some
other factor ruining your job...

> I have removed the execute perms from that utility and restarted the job.
> But we need the ability for it to scan for stuff that cannot be interrupted,
> and finding such a process, exit quietly w/o doing anything to the system.

dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades

should allow you to turn it off. You can then purge it if you really don't
want it.

> Perhaps a wrapper to do that, and have cron execute the wrapper?
>
> Admittedly this is a bit odd. But costly, in both time wasted and monetarily
> in material wasted.

One of the costs in making your own choices and doing your own system
administration is that you have to make your own choices and do your own
system administration - you can't always expect everybody else to instantly
understand the need for your particular requirements

> Cheers, Gene Heskett.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater