On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 10:18:33PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 20 Jan 2023 at 03:43:09 (+0000), Russell L. Harris wrote:
I have not figured out how to configure the BIOS of a Dell Latitude
3510 to cause it to see and boot from a Debian netinst image (Debian
11) written to USB flash (8Gbyte Patriot).

Typically you'd tap away at F12 after turning it on, and that would
give you a one-time menu for where to boot from.

The problem is that the "one-time menu" does not include the flash
device.

The F12 facility can be turned off, in which case you'd have to
tap away at F2 instead, which would give you access to the full
BIOS. The Boot Sequence will be somewhere in there, like (D430):

 Boot Sequence

 1              USB Storage Device
 2              CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
 3              Diskette Drive
 4              Internal HDD

                Cardbus NIC
                D/Dock PCI slot NIC
                Onboard NIC

Neither do the BIOS screens include the flash device.

Boot Sequence

[X] UEFI ST500LM034....

(+) Add Boot Option

I have searched with Google without success.  The BIOS of this machine
offers an order of magnitude more options than does the BIOS of other
Dell machines.  Regrettably, many of the parameters are not
explained.

RLH