On Mon, 2023-01-23 at 13:54 +0500, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

[...]
> > [   66.959391] usb 1-5: device not accepting address 5, error -71
> > [   66.960945] usb usb1-port5: unable to enumerate USB device
> >
> > This occurs when *no USB cables are plugged in*. The kernel is
> > stalling the entire boot process to enumerate some internal USB hub, I
> > assume.
> >
> > My front USB-C is broken as far as I can tell, so I tried unplugging
> > the header. The issue persisted.
> >
> > The front USB 3.0 work correctly and I couldn't get the header
> > unplugged anyways, so I didn't test if that was the issue.
[...]

On 23.01.2023 11:40, Matthew McAllister wrote:
> Start troubleshooting process by unplugging all USB devices,

He said he did that ;-)

> [...]
> There is one additional thing, if your "PC" is a laptop, then it is
> possible there is an internal device inside that uses USB bus to
> function, e.g. WiFi adapter, WWAN adapter, etc.

He also said he unplugged the header for the front USB so guess that's
a desktop.

Another things to try is booting using an older kernel, presumably
there is one still installed as Debian doesn't automatically uninstall
kernels.

Also, looking at old kernel logs from back when it was working would be
useful (/var/log/kernel.N.gz where N if the biggest number there is).
Hopefully that will show what device is on usb 1-5 (though I believe
port numbers may change over time and depend on what's plugged in).

--
Tixy