Reco (12023-03-17):
> - DRBD

That looks interesting, with “meta-disk device”.

> - MDADM + iSCSI

Maybe possible, but not the way you suggest, see below.

> - zpool attach/detach

I do not think that is an option. Can you explain how you think it can
work?

> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=mirror --force --raid-devices=1 \
>       --metadata=1.0 /dev/local_dev missing
>
> --metadata=1.0 is highly important here, as it's one of the few mdadm
> metadata formats that keeps said metadata at the end of the device.

Well, I am sorry to report that you did not read my message carefully
enough: keeping the metadata at the end of the device is no more an
option than keeping it at the beginning or in the middle: there is
already data everywhere on the device.

Also, the mdadm command you just gave is pretty explicit that it will
wipe the local device.

Thanks for pointing DRBD.

--
  Nicolas George