On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 06:00:46PM +0300, Reco wrote:
[...]
> PS There's that old saying, "RAID is not a substitute for a backup".
> What you're trying to do sounds suspiciously similar to an old "RAID
> split-mirror" backup technique. Just saying.

This thread has piqued my interest, because I have been lax in doing proper
backups. I currently run a RAID1 mirroring across three disks (plus a hot
spare). On top of that is LUKS, and on top of that is LVM. I keep meaning
to manually fail a disk then store it in a safe deposit box or something as
a backup, but I have not gotten around to it.

It sounds to me like adding an iSCSI volume (e.g. from AWS) to the RAID as
an additional mirror would be a way to produce the off-site backup I want
(and LUKS means I am not concerned about encryption in transit). It also
sounds like you're saying this is not a good backup approach. Ignoring
cost, what am I missing?

> Reco
--Gregory