On Mon 15 May 2023 at 08:07:12 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2023 14:22:14 +0100
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Consider: the printer can be discovered via mDNS/DNS-SD by all
> > machines on the network. ideapc does this and hasn't any difficulty
> > printing. So why set up a server when hawk will see the printer as
> > ideapc does?
>
> Possibly just legacy habits. I'm not accustomed to this automation.

Possibly. You are not alone in this. The thinking appears to be: "I have
an HP printer; therefore I must use HPLIP". Oftern it is downhill from
there. Unlees there are special needs, HPLIP is redundant with a modern
MFP.

> > Additionally, assuming the printer provides the IPP-over-USB protocol,
> > the USB queue will not work. See
> >
> >   https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
> >
> >  [...]
> >
> > The two URIs are equivalent.
> >
> >  [...]
> > >
> > > implicitclass://HP_LaserJet_MFP_M234sdw_C0FB67_/
> >
> > cups-browsed has automatically set up a queue. Unless it is having an
> > off-day, it should do the same on hawk and dragon.
>
> I have no idea what's going on here. I now see such a queue on hawk but
> not dragon. Possibly the fact that I rebooted hawk yesterday had
> something to do with it? I will reboot dragon later today and see if
> that makes a difference.

cups-browsed works well for many users, but can be a little temperamental.

> >  [...]
> >  [...]
> >  [...]

[...]

> > hpm234ethernet.local?
>
> Again, the "localdomain" is correct.

avahi-browse shows hpm234ethernet.local for the hostname.

BTW, is hpm234ethernet you setting or HP's?

--
Brian.