On Mon, 15 May 2023 15:42:51 +0100
Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 15 May 2023 at 08:07:12 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >
> > Possibly just legacy habits. I'm not accustomed to this automation.
> >

> Possibly. You are not alone in this. The thinking appears to be: "I
> have an HP printer; therefore I must use HPLIP". Oftern it is
> downhill from there. Unlees there are special needs, HPLIP is
> redundant with a modern MFP.

Yup.

I have an older inkjet HP also on hawk, so I have it on hawk and
ideapc. However, I did not put HPLIP on dragon. I've had the inkjet
shut down during these exercises.

>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>
> cups-browsed works well for many users, but can be a little
> temperamental.

It also can take its time. After this experience I would recommend
waiting three minutes or so to see if it does its magic. dragon is an
ancient IBM (not Lenovo, although manufactured by Lenovo) and on the
slow side these days, so three minutes may be a bit much.

>  [...]
>
> [...]
>
>  [...]
>  [...]
>
> avahi-browse shows hpm234ethernet.local for the hostname.

I conjecture that's an avahi-browse bug. Why would anyone have a 11
letter TLD name? So perhaps a-b truncates it.

> BTW, is hpm234ethernet you setting or HP's?

Mine, via DNS.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com