On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 07:40:54PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/16/23 18:41, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Now, granted, this is just my personal stance.  I may be atypical.
> > That said, what exactly does a GUI package manager offer you, that
> > you can't get from "apt install thing-i-want"?
> >
> > .
> Like looking at the menu in a fancy restaurant, if you don't have a menu to
> read, how that heck are you supposed to know what you want?

I agree that discovering the *package name* of the thing-u-want is
often the hard part.  I'm not sure how much easier it is to learn the
package name with a GUI application vs. "apt search" or similar
commands.  In lots of cases, there are just a slew of false positive
results (libraries/modules to interface with the thing-u-want in some
obscure language, etc.), but I don't think sifting through those is
any easier in a GUI than in a terminal.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

In any case, for people who've been using Debian as long as we have,
one would think we have a pretty good idea which packages we want,
when we're installing a new system.