On Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:41:08 -0400
Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 06:35:48PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > 0 upgraded, 164 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 44.5 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 206 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> >

> I really don't understand why people want a GUI package manager at
> all. The last time I used anything even remotely *close* to a GUI
> package manager was dselect, back in the previous century.  And that
> was a curses (terminal) interface, not an X11 one.
>
> In the last two decades, I haven't used or wanted anything fancier
> than apt(-get).
>
> Now, granted, this is just my personal stance.  I may be atypical.
> That said, what exactly does a GUI package manager offer you, that
> you can't get from "apt install thing-i-want"?

I run sid on my main workstation, and sometimes it gets in a muddle,
with fifty packages not upgradable. OK, if it's a big group of related
packages and a key one hasn't been upgraded yet, there's nothing to be
done about them. But often another thirty packages can be upgraded, but
only in a specific order. I find synaptic much quicker at clearing this
kind of logjam than either apt-get or aptitude. It's easy to select
half a dozen packages and see easily what will be removed if you try to
upgrade, and I once cleared a logjam of about fifty packages that
neither apt-get nor aptitude could deal with. It was a matter of
upgrading a few at a time, and in a particular order, and I'd have
spent all day trying to do that with the other apt tools.

And no, I don't like to postpone upgrading sid for too long,
particularly at this stage in the lifecycle.

--
Joe