On 6/16/23 23:04, pa...@quillandmouse.com wrote:
[...]
Please forgive my ignorance. But from what I've heard, apt and apt-get
manage packages differently, and aptitude does it differently as well.
Why isn't there a ONE WAY for packages to be managed? You'd think this
would a high priority for the Debian team. If the answer is, "We don't
want to break stuff from long ago", why not just deprecate things over
time?

And why hasn't anyone made a Wayland-native port of Synaptic? Is it
planned? If not, why not?

Paul

Heck of a good question Paul, but I really don't expect to get an answer that makes sense on THIS list.

Come on debian, can't this be fixed? The lack of a good graphical program that works like synaptic is a major PITA. Somebody suggested apper but ask apt to install it and it drags in 164 other dependencies, stuff I've never heard of before with what to me are 100% non-sensical names.

So how about a justifiable explanation?

How many 3 letter back doors are in that stuff?

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis