On Sun, Aug 20, 2023 at 02:27:38PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> I should have prefaced cmd with a $ sign but forgot to add it in my post,
> cmd was meant to be whatever I wanted to trace, in this case digiKam which
> is the current 8.1.0 AppImage, probably updated by now as the do that about
> monthly but not yet.  Sorry for the confusion.  Greg sorted me out, and my
> several year old dead tree 500 page tome on bash scripting is out of date.

The way redirections work has not changed, ever.  It has always been
this way.  Some shell features do change over time, but the significant
ordering of redirections has remained stable ever since the original
Bourne shell.

Whatever reference material you're using isn't "out of date".  It's simply
incomplete (or perhaps confusing, or perhaps just plain wrong) as a
teaching text.

The lack of good books on shell scripting is one of the major reasons
why I've had to put so much effort into the Bash FAQ and other documents
on my wiki.  There are a lot of incorrect or incomplete sources out
there, and virtually *every* shell script in existence has massive bugs,
which don't trigger only because you don't have sufficiently evil
filenames to trigger them.  Sadly, that means people usually learn from
bad examples, and perpetuate the bugs that they see, without realizing
that they're doing it wrong.