On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 06:08 Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 17:23 Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> root,
>>> changed

>> Ah, good old X-Y.
>>
>> Create symlinks from /usr/local/bin/ to wherever the programs are
>>> physically installed.  Then don't touch PATH at all.
>>
>> My brain isn't clicking on all eight, but I think you suggested that
>> before--I'll try that, thanks, Greg!

Well, that's not going to work. I failed to say my program is a bit more
complicated:

0. It's executed by 'root'.
1. It uses 'raku'.
2. During its operation, the location of the 'raku' version to be used
after it completes changes from '/usr/local/bin' to '/opt/rakudo-pkg/bin'.
3. Due to requirement 2, I don't think it's safe to attempt to overwrite
current executables with a symlink to new executables of the same basename.

I think I need to have the program change all the path-affecting files
specified by Greg and others so that PATH includes both locations with the
new location coming before the original location.

Then the script can safely remove the original version.

-Tom