Hello,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 08:50:52AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> I failed to say my program is a bit more
> complicated:
>
> 0. It's executed by 'root'.
> 1. It uses 'raku'.
> 2. During its operation, the location of the 'raku' version to be used
> after it completes changes from '/usr/local/bin' to '/opt/rakudo-pkg/bin'.
> 3. Due to requirement 2, I don't think it's safe to attempt to overwrite
> current executables with a symlink to new executables of the same basename.

If you have a program that REQUIRES to call raku at
/usr/local/bin/raku by invoking "raku" with no path and then
REQUIRES to call raku at /opt/rakudo-pkg/bin/raku by calling "raku"
with no path, then I think that is an insane set of requirements up
with which I would not put.

I'd make it all run with one raku from one place, or else I'd
specify the full path to the special raku that is needed.

Anything else sounds like a great foot-gun left lying around for
others or myself a week from now.

Perl and Python virtual environments typically have a script which
sets the path to the interpreter once you enter them, and then
everything is self-contained from there.

Cheers,
Andy