On 30/10/2023 19:49, Michael Kjörling wrote:
On 30 Oct 2023 13:36 -0600, from willitc9...@gmail.com (William Torrez Corea):
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz

cpu MHz : 798.205
cpu MHz : 798.173
cpu MHz : 798.250
cpu MHz : 798.223

There's something. You have a 4 x 1.8 GHz CPU but it's actually
running at 800 MHz across all cores. 1.8 GHz is already at the slow
end by modern standards but 800 MHz is definitely slow. If you
actually did this while doing something which you felt was slow, it
should have stepped up the frequency.

CPU is idling and there is nothing to do, I don't know why you want to
investigate normal CPU behaviour. This is absolutely normal. Going down
all the way to 0.80 GHz is actually great, that is definitely conserving
power.

Here's another example:

neofetch | grep CPU
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 3.800GHz [47.3°C]

$ grep -e '^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 2627.848
cpu MHz         : 2880.186
cpu MHz         : 2660.697
cpu MHz         : 2874.974
cpu MHz         : 2878.375
cpu MHz         : 2879.568
cpu MHz         : 3800.000
cpu MHz         : 2200.000
cpu MHz         : 2200.000
cpu MHz         : 2878.822
cpu MHz         : 2879.274
cpu MHz         : 2824.946
cpu MHz         : 2200.000
cpu MHz         : 2200.000
cpu MHz         : 3596.336
cpu MHz         : 2869.524

Oh look my Ryzen is broken because it's only delivering 2800 MHz instead
of advertised 3800 MHz, yes? No. It's power saving because there is
nothing to do, processor is not busy, so frequency is scaling down. This
is all by default, no tweaks required.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀