On 30 Oct 2023 12:45 -0600, from willitc9...@gmail.com (William Torrez Corea):
> I have problems when I have a lot of tabs opened in my browser, i am using
> the libreoffice or playing on Steam. The system blew up.

I'm fairly certain that when you say that "the system blew up", you do
not mean that it literally exploded. Do you mean crashed, or slowed
down considerably?

> My browser: Firefox Browser 115.4.0esr (64 bit)
> My system: Linux 5.10.0-26-amd64 1 SMP Debian 5.10.197-1 (2023-09-29)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> My browser consumes 655MB of memory and uses 34% of the CPU.

Unfortunately modern browsers as a rule are quite memory-hungry. My
current Firefox instance (same version) is using ~1GB of memory, and I
don't even have a lot of tabs open or have had it running for
particularly long. Still, 7-8 GB of RAM (as indicated in your response
to Greg) and only half of it in use should be enough for most everyday
needs.

> The system uses 30% CPU, 265 Process, 50% memory and swap 9%.

None of those are particularly high; and you certainly aren't
bottlenecked on any of them. It's normal to see some swap usage even
if you aren't actually using all RAM, especially if the system was
under memory pressure earlier (since the most recent reboot).

Searching for "Toshiba L200" doesn't really tell me anything about
your computer, but since it has a 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD, I would guess
that your computer is not the most up-to-date model. That's fine;
Linux in generally tends to be a good choice for slightly older
computers. However, if you have a processor with few cores (maybe even
just two or four cores), it's entirely possible that something is
bottlenecking on a _single core_. Given your figure of 30% CPU usage,
I wouldn't be surprised if your system has a 4-core CPU and some
single-thread process is bottlenecking on single-core performance.
Depending on the exact tool, you'd see either a single core fully
utilized and all others idle as 25% utilization, or as 100%
utilization (with all four cores being fully utilized then being shown
as 100% or 400% CPU usage, respectively).

Could you show us the output of these four commands executed in a
terminal _while you're doing something which you feel is slow_?

grep -m 1 -e '^model name' /proc/cpuinfo

grep -e '^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo

free -m

grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo

That will tell us what CPU and how much memory and swap your computer
has.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”