On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:34:30 -0500
Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I understand things, a well functioning UEFI system does not need
> to use GRUB. The entries for Linux and Windows will be in the UEFI
> boot menu, and you can boot directly using EFI variables.

It's the 'well functioning' that is sometimes a problem. I have a
netbook which, left to its own devices, will always boot to Windows,
and cannot be made to boot to anything else from the UEFI part of
whatever we're supposed to call the BIOS these days. It does not honour
DefaultBoot, always resetting it to Windows, but for some reason does
honour NextBoot. So once Linux is running, a script sets NextBoot to
grub. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to set NextBoot from
Windows, so after the odd occasion when I run that, I need a rescue USB
to get back to grub.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the EFI commands operating
BIOSes properly, so I wonder if good old MS requires compliant
manufacturers to get it wrong deliberately.

For the curious, I occasionally need to run Microchip MPLAB, the old
pre-Java version which doesn't do Linux. It only just about does
Windows... I used to think Serif software was buggy until I tried
Microchip stuff.

--
Joe