On 16.11.23 16:49, Stefan Monnier wrote:
My current favourites are RK3588 based CPU SBC devices which have an
exceptionally fast set of CPUs, high speed networking, and options for
Debian or Ubuntu or OpenWRT or Armbian.

Are these the usual SBC setup where you have to run the vendor kernel,
plus possibly other custom bits, or would pure Debian including kernel
run on them?

A good source of info to find out is to check the device tree files in
the official kernel source code:

     https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip

you'll see lots of rk3588 boards are supported and if you look inside
that board's `.dts` file you can see which parts of its hardware are
actually supported by the vanilla kernel (tho this is not written in
natural language, so if you're not familiar with the technical details
of devicetree files it can be somewhat challenging to interpret, YMMV).

I'm currently running a Globalscale SheevaPlug and a DreamPlugs but
Debian support for the old ARM architecture is likely to end soon.
(Dropping it seems to come up each release, but so far they're still
releasing for it.)

If these can run the `armhf` port you should be fine for a few
more years.  For `armel` the writing is on the wall, tho.

         Stefan

I wouldn't recommend an ARM CPU. amd64 architecture is also quite energy efficient and you may avoid a lot of trouble.

My thinclient needs around 10W (with 1x 2.5" SSD and 1x 2.5" HDD)