>>What are you talking about? FAT does not get “overloaded” by long
>>filenames.
> Seen it happen;

I have serious doubts about the "it".

> Long filenames, mixed case, and files saved at the beginning of
> a session of copying multiple files would be lost because the FAT was
> filled, and overwritten from the start by files added later in
> the session.

The FAT doesn't contain file names.  It has a fixed size and contains
one "word" per block in the partition, and that word indicates simply if
the corresponding block is free or not, and if not, what is the next
block of the corresponding "file" (where that "file" may be also
something like a directory).

The FAT doesn't get filled/emptied: it has the same size whether the
partition is empty or full, because the partition contains a fixed
number of blocks.

So, I don't doubt you have seen what you have seen, but whatever you
have seen was not due to "the FAT was filled".

        Stefan