Hi,

Anssi Saari
> It does seem strange to me, even in MS-DOS era I was able to set a
> terminal scrollback to 5000 lines without issue, when RAM was maybe 4 MB
> and a DOS terminal program probably had access to way less than that.

I have no problems with 130 xterms of 10,000 lines each.

> So does rsync really generate gigabytes of verbose output?

rsync can be extremely verbose when the number of transferred files is
very high.

> Or is xfce-terminal storing the scrollback in a very inefficient way?

I would not be astonished to learn that the luxury ornamented terminals
of the various desktops waste many extra bytes when memorizing plain text.
But the real bug is the fact that the scroll back memory is unlimited and
can summon the OOM killer. (I imagine it like the Discworld Death of Rats.)

If i were a user of Xfce i would report this as bug to its Debian
maintainer. Bug title "xfce-terminal: A landmine on the kids' playground".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas