On 2/25/24 03:36, Geert Stappers wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 02:05:50PM -0500, Lee wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 12:06 PM gene heskett wrote:
On 2/24/24 11:03, Loïc Grenié wrote:
On Sat Feb 24th, 2024, at 16:03, Gene Heskett wrote:

     Greetings all;

     As most of you know I'm a DM-II, but the recent shortage of
     trulicity, a
     weekly self administerd shot that helps regulate one's blood guclose
     levels has got us scrambling for alternatives.  So a month back I
     bought
     one of the so called smart watches that purports to monitor blood sugar.

"purports" appears to be the correct verb
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/do-not-use-smartwatches-or-smart-rings-measure-blood-glucose-levels-fda-safety-communication

<https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/do-not-use-smartwatches-or-smart-rings-measure-blood-glucose-levels-fda-safety-communication>

I got a msg from our state AG warning me about these, but it was 2 days
after I had ordered this thing. Too little warning, too late, but I'm
the curios type, and this device looks good so I would like to see how
it compares with the antique finger prick model we've been using since
Hector's great grandfather was a puppy.. New tech sometimes work pretty
good while the FDA seems to try to protect old tech.

Give the FreeStyle Libre 14 day sensor a try - it's so much nicer than
poking holes in yourself whenever you want to know what your blood
sugar is.
There's a reader you have to buy or a current enough smart phone can
be used as a reader.

What I'd like to find is software that lets me get the data off the
reader into my PC.

That is what Original Poster also wants. ( More about OP below )
The so called smart watch has BlueTooth. This email thread, I think,
was started to get more information about using "BlueTooth" on Debian
systems. (OP should do better to express what the actual question is.)

As I see it, is https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser now the best place
to go.

I have to agree, and pursuing that seems to disclose I do not have the non-frre in my configs. So I'm now asking for help to add it to my /etc/apt/sources *.list stuff.

Abbott wants everything uploaded to their servers and I quit reading
the terms of service when it got to them giving out my data after
'anonymising' it.

I too would run like the wind to get away from that bit of zuckerburgish contamination.

I hear what you say.  I agree with you.

Most likely we are aware of the challenge.
(And we are facing already other challenges.)

Regards
Lee

Groeten
Geert Stappers

About Original Poster:
I have never met Gene Heskett. When we will, I guess he will do 80%,
may be 90% of the talking, unlikely fifty-fifty. I think I will OK
with the non-balanced dialog, because I knew it from the begining.
Beside the difference in verboseness between Gene and me, there are lots
of common goals. For starters "Debian". Gene wrote in mailinglists posts
about his work as engineer, where he did serious trouble shooting.
And yet. the one time the NAB had their annual broadcasters bash in D/FW I discovered I could be arrested in Texas for impersonating an Engineer because my business card said I was the CE at WDTV. but I was not a degree'd EE. That I'm not, I am a CET, a much more comprehensive final exam, we can teach the EE's things their prof's never touched, if the EE is willing to learn. Sadly, too many get the sheepskin and then turn off the learning because they already know it all. I don't generally waste a lot of time with them.

I've had EE's spend the night telling I'm wasting my time, it won't work. And are blown away, when I push the final button and it just works. I have no idea how many EE's there are here in the states, 10,000+ probably. There are only around 130 CET's. Yet I have only an 8th grade diploma and a GED. Yet I know how simple things work, up to and including Einsteins theory's. as demonstrated by the time distortion a klystron amplifier does to a tv signal. I had to teach the FCC about that back in the '70's.

Computers are 10000000 times more complex.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis