Hello ^^)

Le 18/06/2024 à 03:00, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
Is there a chance to change in next versions i.e. Debain 13 or other
versions an assembly specifically for a USB flash drive as primary
download?  Do you think the time has come? When do you think this moment
will happen?

AFAIK, all the so-called CD/DVD images work just fine when "burned" on
a USB flash drive.  So I think the question is whether it's time to
change the doc to stop suggesting that those images should be burned
onto optical media.

Just a question : why should we ditch the cd or dvd just because some guys said that's it was obsolete or inferior to the usb keys et al ?

Memory keys (and ssd and downlodable audio and ...) all have still a major flaw in regard to hard stuff like CD dvd or real hard disks, and it's their 'volatility'.

these memory devices just dies on us with their contents (our valuable or paid for datas, way more often than a hard disk or cd dvd stuff.

and I don't think this will change soon, not where we are now in technology.

btw, the industry pushes forward a total abandon of hard copy of the stuff we buy with good money, only to ensure that we would buy it again if it was to disapear 'magically' and the buying contract says so in one form or another... Remember the 'robbery' that has occured when buyers of electronic books found a day that some of their bought books had vanished from their readers devices 'cause the reseller contract had been broke by the publisher of the books with some merchants ?

That will be impossible with a real book, or cd, dvd, physical bought software. (well if your house doesn't catch a fire at least ;))

industry does not want you to own what you pay for in hard form. as well as banks are pushing to the abandon of physical money (notes or coins) to have even more control of your hard won money and have you dancing in their hands...

sorry if it's OT, but just think to all this by yourselves. ^^)